During the last several years, the aquatic industry has experienced a major growth. Innovative and continuously evolving technology has not only changed many of the physical attributes of aquatic centres today, but has also improved the overall swimming environment. With advanced operating techniques, tools, and maintenance practices, swimming pools have become safer, and more enjoyable to swimmers everywhere. However, without proper operation your patron’s safety and health as well as the longevity of your facility could be sacrificed. The training and education of your pools operators is crucial to the success of your facility.
LET'S BREAK IT DOWN
The Certified Pool Operators® (CPO®) course is an educational course provided by the National Swimming Pool Foundation® (NSPF®) that teaches students the fundamentals of pool and spa operation. After completing the course, participants will understand how to reduce risks, improve safety, and decrease liability for employers, facilities and patrons. CPO® certification courses are designed to provide individuals with the basic knowledge, techniques, and skills needed for pool and spa operation. The CPO® certification has provided training in the pool and spa industry since 1972, resulting in more than 350,000 certifications in 94 countries.
Who Should Be Certified?
- Pool & Spa Operators
- Service Technicians
- Facility Maintenance Staff
- Environmental Health Officials
- Facility Managers & Owners
- Facility Supervisors
- Head Lifeguards
The Certified Pool Operator program requires participation in either a two-day class taught by a certified instructor OR the blended format which combines the online, “Pool Operator Primer™”, and one day of the in-class instruction, “Pool Operator Fusion™”, along with a final examination.
This certification program includes:
- Pool & Spa Chemistry
- Water Testing
- Water Treatment
- Facility Safety
- Record Keeping
- Preventative Maintenance
- Chemical Feed & Control
- Local and State Code Regulations
- To complete the CPO® program successfully, participants are required to write an open book final exam and obtain a 75% or higher. Once completed, the certification is valid for five years and can be recertified with only a one day in-class review and exam by a certified instructor.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- This internationally accepted certification is a proven educational tool covering the necessary topics for pool & spa operators.
- The comprehensive handbook is the perfect tool for participants attending the class, as well as an excellent source of reference for those who have completed the course.
- All courses are taught by an NSPF certified instructor. This maintains the accuracy and consistency of the material.
- The course provides participants with a better understanding of the operator’s role in pool and spa care, management, and risk reduction.
- The CPO® course provides operators with a better understanding of the importance of water chemistry, which will result in a safer and more comfortable swimming environment, as well as improving the life of the facility.
- The materials and topics covered in this course provide you with the essential knowledge to perform preventative maintenance and understand its impact on water purification and mechanical equipment.
- The growth of the aquatic industry has created a demand for improved safety, and a higher level of education for the management of an aquatic facility. Although this course is internationally recognized, there are still those who have yet to become certified. It is imperative as an industry, that we encourage those who have not yet received certification, as well as those who have, to stay current and up-to-date on proper operation and maintenance of a safe swimming environment.
As the aquatic industry progresses, our aquatic professionals must also progress and improve. As they say…Knowledge Is Power!