Movable floors and bulkheads are becoming more common in aquatic facilities throughout North America. Although they offer similar benefits to an aquatic centre, there is a big difference between the two options.
Movable floors change the depth of the swimming pool water, while bulkheads act as a divider in the pool. Adding a movable floor and/or bulkhead will create endless opportunities for many different programs and activities within one body of water. Imagine the difference a movable floor or bulkhead could make in your swimming pool!
With a movable floor system, the programming opportunities at your aquatic centre expand; traditionally you would need numerous bodies of water to offer these types of programming:
- Swimming lessons (0.5M-1.2M)
- Lane Swim (1.1M-1.35M)
- Diving (3.0M-5.0M)
- Synchronized Swimming (2.0M-3.0M)
- Water Polo (1.8M minimum)
- AquaFit (1.2M-1.5M)
- Aqua Cycle (1.0M-1.2M)
- Water Walking Programs (1.2M-1.5M)
- Physical Rehabilitation (Beach entry or 0.5M-1.5M)
- Competition Training (1.2M-1.5M)
The photo above shows the movable floor at the new Guildford Recreation Centre in Surrey, B.C where the water depth changes several times a day in order to accommodate various programs at the facility.
The addition of a bulkhead at your facility can allow you to accommodate many different programs and activities individually or simultaneously! Large, single activity pools can be divided easily to create separate swimming areas for:
- Swimming lessons, fitness programs and other aquatic classes
- Swimming competitions, water polo competitions and other sports events
- Diving and synchronized swimming
- Other special aquatic programs
The photo above shows the bulkhead installation in action at the Roosevelt Park Pool in Rapid City, South Dakota. The facility includes a 10-lane, 50M outdoor pool and when the Bulkhead is in the middle park position, the pool transforms into a 20-lane pool! This pool also features water polo courses for both men and women.
MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE
When choosing a movable floor or bulkhead manufacturer, it is important to consider the following:
- What is the installation time and complexity of the bulkhead/movable floor?
- Is the operation of the bulkhead/movable floor easy and user-friendly?
- Are the maintenance and service costs low?
- Are the metal parts made of non-corrosive 316 stainless steel or special bronze?
- Does the bulkhead/movable floor offer an aesthetically pleasing appearance?
Movable floors and bulkheads offer the ultimate aquatic versatility for your facility. The addition of a movable floor to a swimming pool can make it simultaneously a deep diving pool, a child friendly shallow depth pool or a mid-depth pool for exercise and water games. The addition of a bulkhead can transform a large single activity pool into separate swimming areas for classes, sports events, or special activities. Installing a movable floor or bulkhead will increase water usage and maximize the swimming pools potential. One pool with unlimited possibilities!